Thursday 3 December 2009

Lost in Lisbon

Luckily, getting lost in Lisbon is wonderful.


I arrived yesterday, in a downpour, but the air was warm and the cobbled streets exciting.



After getting lost in the labyrinth of the Alfama district, I found my hostel, where the sun began to shine and the view from the balcony absolutely sweet.




The rest of the evening was spent wandering around the oldest section of Lisbon, the only district intact after the devastating earthquake of 1755, since it is built on solid rock (Anh is probably making all this up).


Today I went on a walking guide with Suzy, and it was just myself, so a private tour for e10! She was a bit of a history geek, and I actually listened for the full 3 hours. Afterwards, she gave me directions on where to buy Portuguese tea, as Portugal is the only country in Europe that actually produces the stuff. So a few packets of loose leaf for Christmas winter. (Note to self: must spend vast amounts of money on an Arabia teapot when in Finland...)

Above: representing waves, castle in the distance, men`s club, charred church innards - reminder of the great fire, art deco ***** stars, hip hop poet yo yo yo (kidding - that`s Chiado)

Then the afternoon in Belem, and was in total awe.



When it was time to get back to the hostel (for a homecooked meal, and then fado at 11pm) (fado, the melancholy soul tunes, Portuguese blues) I got terribly lost once again, and had to be led back, like the blind, by a young punk with neo curls and cherry docs.



I am gunna use the term "fishnipples" to insult drivers of all public transport with from now on. Lisboa said it was ok.



Until next time - adeus!

P.S I shall update with proper names and places some time in near future...but maybe not. Go check Wikipedia people!

4 comments:

Linh said...

I had to look up where Lisbon is, I should brush up on my geographical knowledge, gee. Portugal!!! The houses are so lovely, I like the view from your balcony, what a rich dark red! Hahahahaha 'devastating earthquake of 1755' you amateur historian you. What does Portuguese tea actually taste like? I want carpet like that wave floor in my future psychedelic pad Anh! Haha Chiado does look like a bit of a homeboy there, doesn't he. I love that old church (?) I want to see lots of old castles - they're in Scotland abouts though, aren't those? And how did you get those birds to perch on the horses for your photo? Haha, a punk in Portugal. I love love love the architecture and I want to build my own house inspired by your photos now! Maybe I should've done Maths so I could've become an architect and brought this European loveliness to Melbourne!
Do more posts!

MissAnh said...

Ha ha, did you like my history lesson? I don't know what the tea tastes like yet, I'll share it with Klaus in a proper teapot, but the lady did tell me it grows in a volcanic region.

And I just simply asked the birds very nicely to pose. :)

Linh said...

Volcanic... Did the tea taste ashy?

MissAnh said...

No no, the ash is like a super-good fertiliser...so the tea was strong, flavoursome and super-good (I think - still working on being a tea genius).