Wednesday 9 December 2009

Madness in Madrid

Madrid was, for me, definitely mad. Wikipedia says it's the 3rd largest city in the EU after London and Berlin, but it felt much much crazier. I didn't know upon arriving that it was a 4-day long weekend, which brought everyone else in Spain to Madrid, whilst everyone in Madrid apparently fled elsewhere (good idea).



I don't have many pictures of Madrid because I didn't feel very inspired. The buildings seemed to me excessively big but not necessarily that interesting. The whole city began to feel like a Christmas party that goes on too long with people you don't like that much - screaming children, screaming parents, stupid Christmas head adornments, even more stupid random shit things that make annoying noises and flash incessantly, can't leave but can't go anywhere else either etc.

However, the Reina Sofia did have a fab exhibit on Russian artists Rodchenko & Popova (and Guernica), and the Thyssen-Bornemisza had the 'Tears of Eros' exhibit (which I went to grudgingly since I'd wanted to see their permanent collection) which was also excellent. The English audio guide was good, and they even had a Rousseau as part of it!

And I liked this a lot, but lost my notes (detective work soon):

Between Sofia and Prado, there was the Caixa Forum with vertical garden by Patrick Blanc...



and inside, lovely edges...



Until next post!

P.S. There appeared to be a jungle within the main train station, with baby turtles hanging out with mum...


0 comments: