Monday 21 December 2009

Running like a bull around Barcelona

Yeah ok, I know they don't run bulls in Barcelona, but I liked the semi alliteration.
You could spend all day taking pictures of the buildings in this city, and Anh did!



Church wall with green tiles and best living statue I've seen:


Sunny days:



Enough said...

One of my favourite moments was discovering whimsy in an otherwise busy and nondescript Metro station.


In my first post, I said that Barcelona represented all my heroes (well, not all, but they do make up a large percentage) – Dali, Picasso, Miro, Gaudi.

People are really mad for Gaudi, including me. In his life, he died alone, which makes me sad. I will do a separate entry because of the volume of pictures I want to share...

Dali always appealed because his work is unapologetically crazy. When you leave the museum, you think again, 'Geez, Dali really was crazy'. He will also have a seperate entry, because this kind of craziness also inspires many photographs.

Miro's art (well, the happy art) is like a sweet calligraphic dream, where all the right things are in the right place – birds, stars, happy figures, shapes. Photos were not allowed within the gallery.

I was a bit disappointed at the lack of cubism at the Picasso musuem, but thought it was a really nice collection overall. There was also an exhibit on Japanese erotica (and very interesting to see its influence on Picasso's more rudey art), and well, some of it was a bit weird. A friend mentioned the other day in a completely different conversation that Japanese hentai was not (is not?) allowed to depict genitalia (that is, male) or actual sex, which is why you have various other phallic representation. Such as giant squids. Which is weird.

Sorry to end it on this note, but I'm going to see Santa Claus now. That's right! He does exist, mum! (If you're wondering, I'm now in Lappland.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi ann .... how was the visit to the museum Dali? I hope you enjoyed ....
the photos you took are very beautiful ... you know more than I, who live near, but never do a tour ..... a kiss and all the best for you in Australia
I'am Mariana... do you remember???
brazil, tattoo....hehe..

Anonymous said...

Hi Anh,

Hope you enjoyed Santa, its good that you're still small enough to sit on his knee. Hee hee...

Amused that I spring to mind when writing about Japanese erotic art, genitalia (lack of) specifically. I do tell Anh lots of other useful things people!

A friend x

MissAnh said...

Hi Mariana - of course I remember! You took me to Figueres! I haven't done a post on that yet, but it's coming soon. :) Hope you're well.

MissAnh said...

Hi hen,
I ran out of patience and dumped Santa for the Marimekko store. ;) Yes, you are useful for other things too, like a friend to have Korean food with!
x

Linh said...

WHY ARE THOSE CHOCOLATE THINGS SO HUGE?! YUMMY! And that rice looks so flavoursome! And that living statue is hilarious, I can't believe it. Those patterns of that Metro station wall looks a bit Frida Kahlo esque... Btw Mum and Dad took her out of my room cause they said oil paints hinder my breathing, they saw it on TV probably some shit current affairs program. And I fell out of touch with the friend who 'borrowed' your painting of the guy with the American flag. When I left Dalis exhibition I was sorta thinking along those lines as you just said, sorta like, 'Geez, how the hell did Dali think of the things that he painted?!'
Giant squids haha! Oh god.
That is disappointing - I like Picassos cubism work.
Are you going to do those entries with their work soon Anh?

MissAnh said...

Soon, yes!
Those choc things are huge for greedy guts like you and me, clearly!
Fall back in, geez. I want that painting back.
You should have told mum and dad that loose living makes you breathe improperly, not a bloody oil painting. FFS!!
I'm not sure that it reminds me of F.Kahlo at all, why do you say that? Not sure what it reminds me of...a child's tale.