Sunday 27 December 2009

What Lord Byron said about Sintra

He said 'I must just observe that the village of Cintra in Estremadura is the most beautiful in the world.' He called in Paradise on Earth.

Of course, it's hard to be convinced after a 45 minute train ride of surburban drabbery - but after you round the corner and start walking up hill, the scenery changes and you'll find yourself agreeing with Lord Byron. Apparently King Ferdinand brought back hundreds of exotic flora to populate his paradise with, even eucalyptus trees, whose nuts we saw on the way up to the Moorish castle.

A beautiful palace can be seen from the castle, simple and elegant:

The town:




Anh enjoying sweet treats from Piriquita, the famous pastry store:

We also went to Cascais that day, and never quite figured how to pronounce it correctly, so refered to it as 'couscous', like real plebs. 'We' is Christina from Eppso, and 3 young Americans on exchange in Granada, whose names I've forgotten but will always remember as how I normally think of young Americans – naïve and polite, and 'nice as pie' (except the ones who listen to heavy metal music, dress in black and carry guns, naturally).

Bye Portugal, like a Pacman with sharp teeth who releases a bird to say I hope to see you soon...

6 comments:

Linh said...

That flamingo pink building is absolutely amazing! And the town is so quaint. And I really really want to eat that pastry... Was it crunchy on the outside and soft and jammy on the inside?! I want to go to Portugal now... And Finland... And everywhere else you've been... Damn you. Mostly to eat pastries that look like that and look at the rad architecture. You have to give me more detailed travel advice in the near future (hopefully near).

MissAnh said...

The pastry was quite weird - it was soft and not flaky, but crunchy from all the sugar, but inside was like this soft sugary paste, it didn't really have a particular flavour (sugar?)
Save some dosh, sis. And I'll save Russia for you, so we can travel that together.

Stewart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stewart said...

(loads of typos in last one...)I read the title of this post as "What Lord Byron said about SinAtra" - now that would have been interesting.

Enjoying the pictures on your blog - love the Finnish road pic.

MissAnh said...

Ha, what would Byron say about Sinatra?
Still got lots of photos to come (Dali!) - I'd dearly love to print everything out and stick em in a big fat album.

Linh said...

Hei, you SHOULD print out your photos manual and make a big fat travel album! Cause I keep going back to look at your photos and I forget them. But if they were in an album I could pore over them for hours wherever and then have the images in my head.
I just saw that pastry again and my mouth watered!
Yum, sugar crunchy aggh! YUM!
I WILL SAVE DOSH!
LOVE YOU!