Sunday 3 January 2010

Fun in Finland

So far, this image really captures for me what Finland feels like (taken from inside the car, as the sun sets at 2pm). There is that peculiar lilac shade in the sky, and some snow, but you're warm and maybe you can hear some music playing; it's really beautiful.


Of course, my title could have been 'Freezing in Finland', but I actually didn't feel that until about week into the trip, when I went for a walk in -20 and my hair turned grey from ice particles formed from my breath. It's not always -20, mostly it's about -10...Anh the Michelin Eskimo!

We stayed the first few days with Klaus' brother in Naantali, about 15 minutes from Turku.


Anh, enjoying the company of Elsa and Aino who look like her, and whom will lie down unexpectantly demanding a bellyrub (dogs, that is...)

Sweet Turku church with little windows:

Anh, momentarily distracted:


Yes, it really did say 'Supreme quality you-know-what on the mountain top'.

Ada, the professional rice paper roll roller:

Speaking of food, I made an expensive phonecall to Australia on Christmas Eve and Linh picked up, the few precious moments we spent talking about...well, food of course. For you, sis:

Yep, I don't think we've been eating very typically on account of a vegan in the house, I mean, I guess we're lacking at least one pig and a reindeer.

Klaus taking the piss (yes, it's porridge, but the homemade apple jam is DELISH!! I had maybe a ratio of 3:1 jam:porridge...):

Hope everyone had a merry Christmas; Lordi certainly did at the Santa Village...


And a happy new year!

4 comments:

Linh said...

What a beautiful view Anh! Sort of looks like a zombie landscape too... Haha. Jesus, don't know how you survived -20 weather... -1 is enough to make me whinge like a little bitch. But you know me, I love to complain... Haha. That food looks so good that I'm hungry again... Those wedges are just waiting for someone to bite into them. Is that liver or chocolate cake on the side?! Haha! It looks like cake... D: And those pastry things like little windmills look too pretty to eat. Was good to get your call!

MissAnh said...

Klaus says it's character building...because I complain a lot too. :) It sounds really cold but the houses are built for it. Can't say the same for the UK, our flat is colder than 'fucking freezing' and it's only a bit below 0 - much worse. No, that's rye bread and crackers!

Lockie said...

go go ryanair eh? you've been all over the shop of late! and inspired me to head to portugal when i (eventually) return. i like this format with a bit of a story in between pretty pictures, stupid facebook.. anyway, beware you're on my rss feed!

ps i effing love santa's raised eyebrow as lordi get their freak on all around

MissAnh said...

Given the choice, I probably would have chosen Ryanair over British Airways! When do you eventually return, and where are you now? Questions questions!

You would have enjoyed the Lordi 'Roctaurant' in Rovaniemi then, with dishes such as 'Rudolf's last journey'. Ho ho ho.